In 1856 a young european photographer, John Beasly Greene, took a photo of El-Kantara bridge in the algerian city of Constantine. But Algeria has a second El-Kantara bridge. It was built by the roman army around the beginning of the third century A.D. in the canyon then called « Calceus Herculis » (Hercules’ shoe). The french army passed the canyon in 1844, and in 1862, the ancient roman bridge was « restored » to its current state. El Kantara is the name of these two famous bridges – and of all bridges in arabic : al-qantara.